Sunday, September 28, 2008

julia kristeva


My critic is Julia Kristeva. She is a bulgarian born critic best known for her work on feminism and cultural theory. She is also considered one of the leading structuralists today. She was trained in psychoanalysis and has applied that knowledge to post-structuralist thought to form a theory she calls the "semiotic". The semiotic is an emotional field tied to our instincts that dwells within the "fissures and prosody of language" rather than the meanings of words. Prosody is the study of rhythm, stress and other related elements of speech. So as far as I can tell, she deals with how our psyche and subconscious deal with the parts and sounds of speech. Easy enough. I'm not sure how I'm going to channel this into a presentation in class. Here is a picture of her. I'd like to thank wikipedia.

No comments: