Monday, November 17, 2008

on Don Quixote 7

I googled "Don Quixote: illusion and reality" just like I was supposed to but I'm not sure what exactly I was supposed to come up with. I didn't find anything specific but I found one article that talked about DQ and Sancho representing illusion and reality. That is the interpretation many people can easily come up with, based on Sancho's ability to see things for what they are while DQ sees fanciful illusions. Anyone with a brain will see that this reading really isn't that accurate though. Sancho may be able to see that windmills are wind mills or be able to trick DQ about Dulcinea, but his loyalty and belief in DQ shows us that he really isn't that with it either. Even though he knows that DQ is mad, he somehow believes that he will still get an insular to govern. In many ways this makes him almost as mad as DQ, because he knowingly puts his faith in a lunatic. The article kind of confirmed this, but I think it's such an obvious assertion that an article wasn't really even necessary.... which leads me to believe that it was not the target of our assignment to google "Don Quixote: illusoin and reality" and that I have failed. The rest of the stuff was even more worthless though. I shall investigate more.

No comments: