Friday, October 17, 2008

intentional fallacy pertaining to the test

I'm pretty sure I didn't do that well on the test, I drew several blanks on things I should have known. This however can be looked at a different way: just because I didn't know exactly the answer that Professor Sexson had in mind, does that mean that I was wrong? Keeping in mind that Profesor Sexson is the author of the test, shouldn't we then disregard his intentions? What the author meant is not important, it's how it's interpretted that is important, and each student might have interpretted it differently. I know for a fact I interpretted a lot of questions differently than Professor Sexson might have intended, so by his standards I might be incorrect, but thats assuming that his intention should really have a bearing on how I read the test. In this vein, I think leniancy should definately be in order when the tests are graded because to mark certain answers wrong would mean that they were wrong by Professor Sexson's standards, and that goes against what we've been learning in class, which is obviously counter-productive. :)

No comments: