Friday, October 17, 2008

on psychoanalysis and my hatred of crash

In another english class which shall remain unnamed I just started reading this book called Crash. I find it to be one of the largest pieces of literary excrement that I have ever come in contact with. It's elementary, revolting, stupid, lame, and worthless. While I was wading through this crap the other night it struck me that despite its immense trashiness, the stupid author (who should be psychoanalysed himself) was using psychoanalysis in his story. He draws this connection between car crashes and sex and how erotic car crashes are, all the attempting to use as many different terms for genitalia and sexual functions as possible. He basically degrades humans to the level of animals by making it seem that sexual desires are the only things driving our lives. He removes any notion of love, compassion, care, etc. from humans and makes everyone objects. He mentions planes, gear shifters and a variety of other things as fallic symbols. This guy obviously read Freud once and took everything to heart.
My critic for this class is a psychoanalyst and I'm also in the psychoanalysis group so I noticed this pattern in the book fairly quickly. I'm sure if I went to the romance section of a bookstore and picked up some other trash i could find fallic symbols all over too. This book is much worse than romance novels though, I hate it.

No comments: