Monday, October 27, 2008

on Don Quixote 3

The other day while reading Don Quixote I reached the part where Cardenio reenters the picture when he meets the priest and barber. I have already mentioned how the description of his song reminded me of Order at Key West, but as he began to finish the telling of his tale to the two men, I began to see other interesting things about his story. If one were to listen to the first part of his story it reads almost like a renaissance play. He is madly in love with a woman, they plan to marry, but then his close treacherous friend tricks him and steals the girl from him. If it were truly a renaissance play Lucinda actually would have killed herself and then Cardenio would have murdered Fernando and then killed himself as well. Unfortunately it doesn't happen that way. Later in the story you see a very similar plot in the novella of the Man who was Recklessly Curious, but I'm not done with that quite yet so I'm not sure how it ends. Cervantes' technique in writing this book allows him to incorporate pretty much every type of story imaginable. Already I can see that this is the frame narrative of all frame narratives, and he uses that to tell different stories in different ways. As I get further it becomes easier to not only connect the text to outside things, but also to connect elements within the text, and that's kind of cool I think.

No comments: