Monday, December 8, 2008

on Don Quixote 10

I just noticed that in an earlier blog I said that I'm a psychoanalysis. That really ruins my credibility when I write dumb things.

On page 738 and 754 we find out that the Countess Trifaldi and the enchanted Dulcinea who appeared in the forest before DQ and Sancho were both played by men. When I first read this I thought there was an accident and that they meant that the man had played her squire Trifaldin, but Sancho notices that he looks the same as the duenna too. When i realized that it wasn't a mistake I found it hilarious because it is just one more extreme that the duke and duchess went to while tricking DQ. It might also be Cervantes nod to theater at the time, since all the parts were played by men (at least in English drama, is the same true for Spanish?).

No comments: