Wednesday, December 10, 2008

on Don Quixote 12

This entry is basically just to say how Don Quixote has infiltrated almost every facet of my life.
1) I was driving the other day and this 1980's beat-up Volvo passes me and it has "Rocinante" written on the back. I started laughing but my passenger just thought I was weird.

2) My father was talking the other day and he used a proverb about something, I can't remember what it was exactly, but then I said, "you're like Sancho Panza" or something to that effect. Luckily my dad has read Don Quixote so he got it, but still, it's weird that my first comment is about DQ.

3) At the risk of sounding creepy, i have this minor infatuation with a random girl. I've never spoke to her or even know her name, but I see her all over campus. I saw her at a restaurant I was at with some of my friends and I tried to express my feelings more eloquently than just saying "I like this girl" so I tried using all sorts of phrases like holy grail, unicorn, paramour (although that is completely incorrect) and muse, but the only one that I thought really worked was "She's my Dulcinea" which made no sense to my friends of course. Unlike DQ i have actually seen this woman, but its still seemed appropriate and it was actually one of the first things I thought of. Weird.

So basically I find DQ coming up in the oddest places throughout my day, and I continue to find new ways that references fit into my day to day speech.

No comments: